The Top 10 Traits of a Master Networker – Part One
Dr. Ivan Misner, CNN anointed “Father of Networking” and Michelle Donovan, co-author of The 29% Solution, one of the best books on networking and referral-building, identified 10 traits of a Master Networker from an international survey of seasoned networkers.
Please see below for their findings and comments, ranked in order of their importance:
1. Timely Follow-up on Referrals. This was ranked as the number-one trait of successful networkers. If you present an opportunity – whether it it’s a simple piece of information, a special contact, or a qualified business referral – to someone who consistently fails to follow up successfully, it’s no secret that you’ll eventually stop wasting your time with this person. Following up with what you say you’re going to do, when you say you’re going to do it, builds your credibility and trust with your network.
2. Positive Attitude. When you are positive, you’re like a magnet. People want to be around you and will send their friends, family and associates to you. Positive attitudes are contagious. Being positive contributes to your determination, internal motivation, and ultimate business success.
3. Enthusiasm/Motivation. Enthusiasm aligns well with a positive attitude. Enthusiastic and motivated people make things happen for them – and for the people they know.
4. Trustworthiness. Trust, as we have been taught, is earned. It develops over time and throughout the life span of a relationship. Trust can never be taken lightly, because it plays such a huge role in your credibility.
5. Good Listening Skills. Our success as networkers depends on how well we can listen and learn from the people in our network. The faster you and your networking partner learn what you need to know about each other, the faster you’ll establish a valuable relationship.
There you have it – the top 5 traits of a Master Networker. Watch for my next blog post where the other 5 most sought-after traits of a Master Networker will be revealed!